Frequently Asked Questions
1. How will I know if these methods will suit me?
You can read the book, The Gift of Dyslexia, by Ronald D. Davis. It is widely available from bookshops and libraries. It will give you a clear sense of the methods.
You may also like to check out the article "37 Common Characteristics of Dyslexia"
(© 1992 by Ronald D. Davis) If you recognise at least 10 of these characteristics, it is likely that the methods will suit you.
And, of course, you can contact me. I will be happy to answer any questions that you have.
If you are interested in doing a Dyslexia Correction Programme or Attention Mastery Programme, the 2-3 hour assessment will ensure that your needs, goals and questions are explored in-depth.
2. What is included in a programme?
- The initial assessment determines the client's suitability for the programme. This is conducted prior to booking the programme.
- The basic Programme is 30 hours, this is often done Monday to Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm. It is paced to suit the individual with a one-hour lunch break and frequent short breaks throughout the day.
- The client works one-on-one with the facilitator.
- Training is provided for the support person assisting with the follow-up work. All the necessary materials are provided to continue working at home.
- Six hours of follow-up sessions/contact are included to ensure that the programme benefits continue to develop.
3. Why do you call the abstract words Trigger Words?
A word must have three parts to be easily used and understood. The Trigger Words are missing one of these three parts.
For example, the three elements for the word tree are the sound of the word, its written form and its meaning. You will probably find that you can easily form a mental picture of a tree.
However, there are over 200 abstract words which are difficult to form a mental image of. Compare how easy it is to visualise hippopotamus, library or banana with the abstract words and, but or could. The abstract Trigger Words usually cause a tremor of confusion when read by a visual-thinker. This can slow down reading speed or reduce comprehension as the reader struggles to accommodate these words in their visual thought process.
4. Where can I find further information?
There is a wealth of articles and facts available here:
And some short videos at YouTube Davis Videos: www.youtube.com/DavisDyslexia
Or contact Sara Kramer on 020 8946 4308.
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for a no-obligation telephone consultation or to book an assessment.
Professional services described as Davis®, Davis Dyslexia Correction®, Davis Symbol Mastery®, Davis Orientation Counseling®, and Davis Math Mastery® may only be provided by persons who are employed by a licensed Davis Specialist, or who are trained and licensed as Davis Facilitators by Davis Dyslexia Association International.